Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation helps patients recover from heart and lung disease, heart attacks, surgery and other conditions of the heart and lungs through guided exercise and education.
It is a customized program of monitored exercise and education designed around your diagnosis, medications, physical shape and physician recommendations. Cardiac rehabilitation is divided into phases that involve nutritional counseling, emotional support and lifestyle education to reduce your risks of heart and lung problems.
It is designed to help patients return to a full and productive life with the goal of preventing a future event from reoccurring. The program incorporates monitored exercise classes, health education and prevention, as well as support for patients who have experienced a serious heart event or have a chronic lung condition.
- Heart attack
- Coronary angioplasty
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart valve replacement
- Coronary artery disease with angina.
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung cancer
- Medical evaluation: Initial and ongoing evaluation helps your health care team assess your physical abilities, medical limitations and other conditions you may have, while keeping track of your progress over time.
- Physical activity: Cardiac rehabilitation improves your cardiovascular fitness through walking, cycling, rowing, jogging and other endurance activities. You may participate in strength training (lifting weights, for example) to increase your muscular fitness. Our cardiac rehabilitation team ensures the program moves at a comfortable pace that is safe for you.
- Lifestyle education: Guidance about diet and nutrition helps you learn to make healthier food choices aimed at reducing fat, sodium and cholesterol intake. You will receive support and education on making lifestyle changes and breaking unhealthy habits, such as smoking.
- Support: Adjusting to a serious health problem often takes time. Counseling will help you learn healthy ways to understand what you are experiencing
HEALTH MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
Beginning Jan. 1, 2018, our cardiopulmonary rehab maintenance program is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cost is $30 per month.
This program is also available to a "plus one" for $15 per month. A "plus one" is a caregiver or a family member over the age of 16. (A parent or guardian must sign a consent for people between the ages of 16 and 18.)
The maintenance program incorporates services provided by a registered nurse, respiratory therapists, exercise physiologist and a nurse practitioner.
Medicare and supplemental insurance generally cover the initial stages. Insurance does not cover the maintenance program.
Cardiac Rehabilitation at Wyoming Medical Center
NERD Health and Wellness Center
1233 E. Second St.
West Tower, Second Floor
Casper, WY 82601
- Toll-free: (800) 822-7201
- Direct Line: (307) 577-2240