Birth announcements

You may have your baby’s birth announcement listed in the Casper Star-Tribune, Casper Journal and The nursing staff will provide you with a release. Please be sure to write you and your baby’s name legibly. If parents are not married, paternity must be signed in order for the father’s name to be published.

Birth certificates and social security

Wyoming state law requires birth certificates to be processed within the first few days of your baby’s life. There are three steps to obtaining a birth certificate and social security number for your baby:

  • You will be given a form to request a copy of your baby’s birth certificate.
  • By marking the appropriate box in the form, you can request a Social Security number for your baby. This will be sent to you by the Social Security office.
  • If you have not named your child, the birth certificate information will be processed with the last name of your child only. You will then have to contact the State Office with the first name of your baby to receive an official birth certificate as well as the Social Security Office to get a Social Security number for your child.

Paternity affidavits

Parents should give their child a surname that the child will use throughout life. A court ruling allows the mother to choose which last name the baby’s birth certificate displays – the mother’s last name or the father’s last name. If it is necessary to change a child’s name within the first year of birth, a court order is required to change the surname. By completing paternity papers, the father has the opportunity to have his name printed on the child’s birth certificate. Paternity papers need to be notarized, and a notary is available on the hospital premises.

Financial assistance

If you find you are unable to pay your hospital bill following the birth of your child, our Financial Care Assistance program can provide you with several payment options. Depending on your qualifications, you can also apply for public assistance. Please contact us for more information on financial assistance.

Car seats

Don’t forget to have your baby’s car seat installed. Wyoming state law mandates that your baby must travel in a car seat at all times. Safe Kids of Central Wyoming (a Wyoming Medical Center program) sponsors a car seat check the second Saturday of most months from 10 a.m. to noon at White’s Mountain Motors, 2400 E. Yellowstone Highway.